One of the best fitness activities we can do for our health and wellbeing is walking. It it generally safe for everyone and provides a myriad of benefits. Here are my top twelve benefits of walking.
1. Walking promotes cardiovascular health and can reduce blood pressure and cholesterol.
2. Walking burns calories just like running does, and though it takes longer to go the same distance, walking is less impactful on your joints. A 30 minute walk burns about 200 calories.
3. Walking increases oxygenation of the blood and helps your body clear and reduce toxins in the body.
4. Walking releases the body’s own natural feel good chemicals to improve mood.
5. Walking improves mental productivity, so a walk in the middle of work can be inspiring and help with problem solving. It is also associated with a reduction in dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Walking can decrease blood sugar and is associated with reducing cravings for sweets.
7. Walking promotes strong bones and muscles and can help with stiffness and joint pain.
8. Walking can improve your immune system. A study of 1000 adults walking 30-45 minutes a day during flu season saw a reduction in respiratory tract infections and over a 40 percent reduction in sick days from work.
9. Walking can reduce stress, decrease anxiety, promote creativity and problem solving skills, and improve self-esteem.
10. Walking promotes better sleep and can decrease insomnia.
11. Walking can keep you more independent and functional for more years of your life.
12. Walking at a fast pace (4 miles per hour) is associated with a longer life span.
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10